Eagle Scout and current Scouter Mark Truax sent us a picture of his favorite item, a Coca-Cola ad promoting the 1937 National Scout Jamboree.
Here's what he said in his note to us:
Dear Scouting magazine,
I fell in love with Scouting when I was in it and have continued in multiple capacities since then.
I have also started collecting Scouting memorabilia that I have come across.
Some time when I was in Scouting, my mom came across a Coke ad for a jamboree, and it hung in their house ever since—likely around 1999 or 2000.
When I was home for this past Thanksgiving I made comments to my parents that I would love to have the picture. For Christmas, they had it reframed and gave it to me.
We think the ad was either in Life magazine or the Mercury Daily News in 1937.
Yours in Scouting,
Mark, thanks for the letter and for the great image (click on it to see it in a larger size).
Seeing that image has whet our appetite for more pieces of Scouting memorabilia. So come on, Scouters, snap a photo of your favorite keepsake and send it to us!
- Take a high-res .jpg image of your favorite Scouting item.
- Just select one to send us (we know that picking one could be hard, but please try!).
- The file must be less than 2 MB in size.
- E-mail it to us with the subject line "Memorabilia" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include your name, position, and council.
- Tell us a few words about why this item is special to you.
We want to start posting them on the blog as soon as possible, so start digging!