Jamboree leaders and parents sending their boys to the 2010 National Scout Jamboree can now view daily, meal-by-meal menus online. The BSA jamboree Web site also lists prices for the jamboree's many retail food outlets and snack bars. And it's the place to order a special celebration cake for boys who are celebrating their birthday at Fort A.P. Hill this summer.
With less than three weeks until the jamboree begins, these resources, available here, will help parents and leaders Be Prepared.
Parents who don't want to send their boys with a lot of cash are encouraged to purchase a Smart Bracelet. These bracelets let boys buy snacks, beverages, souvenirs, and supplies without using cash or credit cards.
The bracelets can be prepurchased online until Friday, July 9. After that, they must be purchased at the jamboree site for a $20 additional fee.
The snack bars and trading posts will accept Smart Bracelets, cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
What's for dinner? As we reported in October, most nights will have a special theme. Here's what's on the menu:
- July 26: Western, barbecue pork on a bun
- July 27: Tex-Mex, beef chili tacos, chips and salsa
- July 28: New Orleans, chicken jambalaya and rice
- July 29: "Iron Chef" night, surprise ingredients
- July 30: All-American, hamburgers and cheeseburgers
- July 31: Arena Show (a no-cook meal)
- Aug. 1: Asian, chicken and vegetable stir-fry
- Aug. 2: Beef stew
- Aug. 3: Chicago, hot dogs